SUSTAINABILITY AT NISSAN
Guided by the corporate vision of “Enriching People’s Lives”, Nissan provides unique and innovative automotive products and services that deliver superior values to all stakeholders.
As it develops as a company through its full range of global activities, Nissan seeks to not only create economic value but also contribute solutions to society as a leading global automaker. Nissan is committed to all stakeholders—including customers, shareholders, employees and the communities where it does business—and to delivering valuable and sustainable mobility for all. Furthermore, we pursue the realization of a zero-emission, zero-fatality society by actively contributing to the sustainable development of society.
Sustainability Strategy: “Nissan Sustainability 2022”
Today’s society is broadly affected by megatrends like demographic shifts and advancing urbanization, both of which are increasing global demand for mobility. Rapid technological advances are transforming the automobile industry, inaugurating a period of unprecedented change. To allow Nissan to lead in responding to these social trends and providing new value through innovation, the company has formulated a sustainability strategy, called Nissan Sustainability 2022, as part of the midterm plan, Nissan M.O.V.E. to 2022.
Under Nissan Sustainability 2022, Nissan clarifies its activities in terms of three concepts: Environmental, Social and Governance, or “E,” “S” and “G” for short. Nissan Sustainability 2022 also outlines Nissan’s initiatives toward contributing to the sustainability of society as well as its own sustainable growth as a company.
Realizing a Zero-Emission, Zero-Fatality Society
The wide availability of automobiles has let countless people enjoy the convenience that comes with automotive mobility as well as the pleasure of driving itself. At the same time, however, increased greenhouse gas emissions and traffic accidents are increasingly pressing issues for the world today. Nissan is using its position as a world-leading automaker to pursue the ultimate goals of achieving zero emissions, through the elimination of CO2 emissions from new Nissan vehicles, and zero fatalities, through the elimination of virtually all fatalities that result from traffic accidents involving Nissan cars. To this end, the company will work together by growing as an inclusive organization that supports a diverse range of employees in demonstrating their abilities and developing as professionals over the medium and long term.
Environmental: Under its environmental philosophy of “a Symbiosis of People, Vehicles and Nature,” Nissan contributes to resolving environmental challenges based on social needs together with long-term vision.
- Nissan Green Program 2022
- - Nissan’s midterm environmental action plan Nissan Green Program 2022 calls for actions to be taken on four challenges: Climate Change, Resource Dependency, Air Quality and Water Scarcity.
Social: Nissan respects the rights of all stakeholders
- Traffic safety
- - Aiming for virtually zero fatalities in traffic accidents involving Nissan vehicles as an ultimate goal, Nissan will promote the development and implementation of autonomous driving and other effective safety technologies.
- Diversity and inclusion
- - Nissan will build an inclusive, innovation-creating organization designed for sustainable development, where individual employees with diverse backgrounds in terms of gender, nationality, ethnicity, race and age can demonstrate their potential to the fullest.
- - With the voice of the customer as our top priority, Nissan will provide top-level quality in its products and services around the world.
- Supply chain
- - Nissan will establish a sustainable supply chain with due regard to human rights and the environment.
- - To ensure that each individual employee can continuously learn and develop their potential to the fullest, Nissan will provide opportunities for learning that employees can access wherever and whenever they wish. Furthermore, Nissan will also aim to create lively workplaces where the health and safety of employees is the top priority.
- Community engagement
- - Through activities that contribute to local communities in terms of the ”zero emission”, “zero fatality” and “zero inequality”, Nissan will aim to realize “a Cleaner, Safer and More Inclusive Society.”
Governance: Nissan complies with laws, regulations and rules and engages in business activities that are just, fair and transparent
- Corporate governance/internal control
- - Nissan will strengthen its corporate governance and enhance its compliance systems globally, promoting business activities that comply with laws and regulations and are highly transparent.
Internal Efforts to Promote Sustainability
Company-wide management of specific activities under Nissan’s sustainability strategy, from setting goals to monitoring progress, will be the responsibility of the Global Sustainability Steering Committee chaired by the company’s Chief Sustainability Officer (CSO). The committee meets biannually and includes management representatives from functions involved with the environmental, traffic safety, diversity and inclusion, and other areas. While each function is responsible for advancing its own activities, progress is reported to the committee. Nissan swiftly implements the PDCA cycle in pursuit of improved sustainability performance.
The Global Sustainability Steering Committee will also report to the Executive Committee, Nissan’s highest decision-making body, which will make decisions on policies and future initiatives.
- Nissan’s Sustainability Decision-Making Process