May 14, 2013
FIRST INFINITI Q50 ROLLS OFF THE PRODUCTION LINE AT TOCHIGI
PLANT TO SIGNAL BOLD NEW DIRECTION FOR MODEL LINE-UP
- Official Q50 Off-line ceremony presided over by Carlos Ghosn, President and CEO of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., and Johan de Nysschen, President of Infiniti Motor Company Ltd.
- Q50 sets new benchmarks in the premium automotive sector
- Sebastian Vettel, three-time world champion and Infiniti's Director of Performance, pays tribute to the Tochigi production team
TOCHIGI, Japan (14 May 2013) – The first production model of the Infiniti Q50, the all-new premium sports sedan, rolled off the assembly line at the Tochigi production plant today.
The official off-line ceremony was presided over by Carlos Ghosn, President and CEO of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., and Johan de Nysschen, President of Infiniti Motor Company Ltd.
The Q50 is the first in the new generation of Infiniti vehicles. It sets fresh benchmarks in the areas of emotive styling, advanced technology and performance.
Premiered at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, the Q50 is at the heart of Infiniti's bold new model line-up.
Ghosn paid tribute to the production team at Tochigi and underlined their reputation for industry-leading manufacturing expertise.
“Thanks to the skill and constant focus on performance improvement, Tochigi has a global reputation for producing top-quality vehicles. Year after year, Tochigi sets the benchmark for manufacturing quality standards," he said.
“With the Q50, once again the Tochigi team has showcased their skill and expertise and proven the power of Japanese monozukuri."
De Nysschen added that the Q50 was the opening salvo in Infiniti's new product portfolio under the “Q" naming structure which was launched in December last year.
“The first Infiniti in our new line-up had to reflect the brand's core values of seductive design, passionate attention to detail, precision in fit and finish, exhilarating performance and a provocative challenge to the status quo. The Q50 certainly does that," he said.
“This is the first step in the launch of our exciting global expansion plan."
Three-time Formula One World Champion, Sebastian Vettel, played an active role in the testing and evaluation programme of the Q50 in his capacity of Infiniti's Director of Performance.
“The first Q50 is coming off the line today so congratulations. I am glad I was involved in the development of the Q50 and I wish you a very good ‘birthday' and success for the future," he said in a congratulatory video message to the production team at Tochigi.
Vettel will assist in shaping the performance dynamics of Infiniti's future model line-up.
The all-new Infiniti Q50, which will go on sale in the summer, is available with a technologically advanced V6 3.5 litre petrol-electric hybrid and a petrol-engined 3.7 litre powertrain.
Striking design, a raft of breakthrough technologies such as Direct Adaptive Steering, and unprecedented levels of craftsmanship and performance are the distinctive qualities of the Q50.
- Infiniti reflects its brand promise "Inspired Performance" with a model line-up of saloons, coupés, SUVs and crossovers featuring exhilarating performance, emotive design and cutting edge technology. Infiniti continues to launch across the globe through a dedicated network of Infiniti Centres that share a commitment to exceptional hospitality throughout the entire period of ownership.
- Infiniti was launched in 1989 in the United States. Infiniti's global footprint expanded into Canada in 1990, Taiwan in 1997, the Middle East in 2004, Korea in 2005 and Russia in 2006. Global expansion continued in 2007 with Infiniti Centres opening in the Ukraine and in one of the world's fastest growing luxury automotive markets, China. In 2008 Infiniti launched in Western and Central Europe which has added 19 additional markets. Infiniti is sold globally in 47 markets to date.
- Since May 2012, Infiniti Motor Company Ltd.'s new global headquarters is situated in Hong Kong, headed by Johan de Nysschen as President of Infiniti.
- Since the 2011 season Infiniti has been a major partner of the Red Bull Racing Formula One team. The team will be known as Infiniti Red Bull Racing from the 2013 season as the relationship evolves to make Infiniti the title partner and lead technical partner with a shared engineering expertise that delivers benefits for the race track and the road. Earlier this year, three-time world champion Sebastian Vettel was appointed Infiniti's Director of Performance.