December 5, 2012
Nissan Releases All-New Sylphy
YOKOHAMA, Japan (December 5, 2012) - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. announced the launch of the all-new Nissan Sylphy, which goes on sale today at Nissan dealers throughout Japan.
The all-new sedan will be sold in approximately 120 countries, including the USA, Japan, China and Thailand. Sylphy is one of Nissan's global core models, along with the new compact Note (released in September) and the new Latio compact sedan (introduced in October).
Featuring an elegant and sophisticated design and class-above comfort, the Sylphy is powered by the newly developed 1.8L MRA8DE engine. The new powerplant is matched with a next-generation XTRONIC CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) with sub-planetary gear, delivering powerful and smooth driving.
The Sylphy for the Japanese market is produced in Nissan's Oppama Plant in Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture.
Key features of the new Sylphy:
Design in pursuit of true sedan beauty
With its premium-feel front grille, LED-accented headlamps, large rear combination lights and a flowing character line, the new Sylphy exterior expresses a sophisticated sedan style. Compared with the previous generation model, the new model is 15mm lower in height and 65mm wider in width, giving it well-balanced sedan proportions.
Within the spacious and comfortable interior, Sylphy's high-quality, refined cabin features a seamless, integrally molded instrumental panel and detailed meter design.
Sylphy's optimized interior layout creates ample rear legroom that is comparable to that of a sedan one class above. Interior spaciousness is further enhanced with shoulder room that is increased by 30mm from the previous model. Ride comfort is also improved by reducing vibration with strengthened body rigidity, enhancing quietness with efficiently placed acoustic insulation and utilization of a vibration-absorbing suspension. Other features, including a Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) system and air conditioner outlet for the rear seats, which are also offered on Fuga and Teana, create a comfortable cabin for all passengers. Enhanced visibility and ease of driving is provided by large windows and the slope of the hood, which allows the driver to easily grasp the vehicle shape.
Sales target: 600 units/month
Price range: 1,937,250 yen to 2,389,800 yen, including consumption tax
Sales launch events: December 8 (Sat.) - 9 (Sun.) and December 15 (Sat.) - 16 (Sun.)
<Overview of the new Sylphy>
Beautiful exterior design expressing a dynamic and premium feel while improving the functionality of a sedan
- Three-dimensional chrome front grille with an imposing presence
- Front bumper with horizontal design, emphasizing great width and a sense of stability
- Headlights with six LED clearance lights that suggest the ‘power of eyes'
- Flowing character line that runs from curved front fender through the rear combination lights
- Electric retractable remote control body-colored door mirrors with integrated side turn lamps that are easily seen (standard on G, X)
- Rear combination lights featuring bold horseshoe-shaped design with fifteen LED lights expressing a stunning, high-quality feel
- A total of six available exterior colors, including a new color, Deep Iris Grey (PM) (PM stands for Pearl Metallic)
Interior design with sophisticated beauty, ample space and refined comfort
- Instrument panel design gives a feeling of spaciousness
- Instrument panel features integrally molded upper-to-middle section, flowing curved surface and the use of soft pad trim to provide a premium interior feel
- ‘Micro-grain' that reduces glare and provides smooth feel to touch and a relaxed atmosphere is adopted in the lower instrument panel and the upper side of the front door trim
- Adopted in all grades is easy-to-read Fine Vision Meters with a central color liquid crystal display showing various information, including ECO mode indicator
- Class-above high-quality feel achieved with carefully selected and combined materials used for the center panel finisher
2.Driving performance and packaging
- Newly developed 1.8L MRA8DE engine adopted in all grades
- Powerful and smooth driving achieved by a longer engine stroke, improved combustion efficiency, improved intake/exhaust efficiency and reduced friction
- Fuel economy improved by 16% to 15.6km/L (in JC08 mode) compared to the previous model
- XTRONIC CVT adopted in all grades
- Front window glass expanded upward to provide easier viewing of traffic lights and signs
- Hood shape that makes it easier to see where the vehicle's front end is
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel for most appropriate driving posture (adjustable by 30mm backward and forward and 40mm up and down)
- 65mm added to the width and shoulder room increased by 30mm compared to the previous model – enhancing interior spaciousness and increasing door thickness, creating ample armrest space
- Large rear knee room where passengers can relax with legs crossed
- Newly designed flat rear seat back sides improve comfort and ease of egress/ingress when three passengers sit in the rear seat
- 510-liter luggage space capacity
Aerodynamics performance and comfort
- New body shape with lower air resistance and optimized under floor airflow achieve coefficient of drag of 0.29
- Strengthened body rigidity and reduced vibration give improved quietness
- Clearance, which is a route where noise comes in, is thoroughly removed and noise insulators are efficiently displayed, delivering improved quietness
- Ride comfort improved by a longer suspension stroke and improved impact/vibration absorption performance
< Key Safety and Environmental Technologies>
- Xenon headlights (projector type with low beam/auto-control) (standard on G)
- Optimum light distribution, multi-reflector halogen headlights (manual control) (standard on X, S)
- Auto light system (linked front wipers, dawn sensors) (standard on G, X)
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control <TCS functionality included>)
- LED High Mount Stop Lamp
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System), EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), Brake Assist
- High-strength body construction (Zone Body), body construction for pedestrian protection
- Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) 3-point seatbelts for all seats
- SRS air bag system for driver and front passenger
- Side air bag system and SRS curtain air bag system for driver and front passenger (standard on G)
- Based on JC08 fuel-economy mode
- Every grade achieves SU-LEV certification, emitting 75% fewer exhaust emissions than 2005 standards
- Achieves more than 95% recyclability rate (where recycling facilities exist)
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Japan's second-largest automotive company, is headquartered in Yokohama, Japan, and is part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Operating with more than 248,000 employees globally, Nissan provided customers with more than 4.8 million vehicles in 2011, generating revenue of 9.4 trillion yen ($US118.95 billion). With a strong commitment to developing exciting and innovative products for all, Nissan delivers a comprehensive range of 64 models under the Nissan and Infiniti brands. A pioneer in zero-emission mobility, Nissan made history with the introduction of the Nissan LEAF, the first affordable, mass-market, pure-electric vehicle and winner of numerous international accolades, including the prestigious 2011-2012 Car of the Year Japan and 2011 World Car of the Year awards.