October 8, 2009
Highlights of the Nissan Exhibit at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show
YOKOHAMA (October 8, 2009) - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., will present various show cars at the upcoming 2009 Tokyo Motor Show, including "Leaf," an electric vehicle (EV) which is slated for global launch and volume production in late 2010, "Land Glider," an EV concept car, and "Qazana," which is an entirely new type of compact sport crossover, which made its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2009. Nissan will also showcase the new "Fuga," Nissan's top-of-the-line sedan and the new mini MPV "Roox," both to be launched later this year.
Nissan's ultimate goal in the environmental field is zero emission. With aim to be a leader in this field, the Nissan exhibits will focus on concept cars including "Leaf" and on the development of related technologies and battery-charging infrastructure, in an effort to communicate the company's commitment to consumers.
Nissan is also continuing to work on the internal combustion engine (ICE) technology, for the development of environment-friendly technology to improve fuel economy and reduce gas emission. In addition to EV, the Nissan exhibit will feature a wide range of models and technologies such as hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), clean diesel technology and next-generation X-TRONIC CVT.
NV200 Vanette Taxi
Overview of major concept cars and technologies to be exhibited are as follows.
The world's first EV designed for large-scale volume production
- High-performance, zero-emission power train and platform take the "joy of driving" to another dimension.
- A design that evokes a clean and intelligent image and a body that achieves optimal aerodynamics and wind noise characteristics are packaged into this innovative and original five-passenger, five-door hatchback.
- Has a range of more than 160km (100 miles) on one full charge, which is sufficient for most daily needs.
- Features an advanced IT system that is specially designed for zero-emission mobility. Navigation screen supports the driver by displaying range autonomy areas and battery-charging spots with a touch of a button.
A new proposal for urban mobility that can be enabled by zero-emission car
- The Land Glider has a potential to become a new means of transportation in urban areas; its linear acceleration and the narrow body, which only an ultra-compact, ultra-lightweight EV can achieve, will help reduce traffic congestion and promote effective use of parking space.
- Shift of the center of gravity by leaning provides a new, exciting sense of driving and a powerful, crisp ride.
Nissan's top-of-the-line sedan to be launched this autumn, which combines supreme design, interior and performance
- A vibrant exterior design, which attracts attention with the strength and dynamic form that only a front-engine/rear-drive (FR) car can deliver.
- Crisp driving, smooth ride, powerful acceleration, quiet and environment-friendly and comfortable driving with a sense of assurance provided by numerous "world's first" technologies.
- A comfortable interior space, created by interior design focused on physical space as well as visual spaciousness and by the adoption of numerous carefully-selected materials and amenities.
- A new, hybrid version which pursues both the "fun of maneuvering at will" and fuel economy of a compact car, will also be exhibited for reference only.
A whole new five-door compact sport crossover with innovative design
- Exterior and interior design inspired by images of beach buggies and motorcycles.
- Distinctive exterior features a large wheel arch that emphasizes power and stability, high belt lines and a sporty upper body.
- The interior features a center console that looks just like a fuel tank and seat of a motorcycle and a design that exposes the body framework.
- Combines sporty driving and environmental performance.
A super-spacious mini-sized vehicle that features a large interior space and dynamic design
- A comfortable interior space (interior height: 1365mm, interior length: 2085mm), one the largest for mini-sized vehicles, allows flexible seat arrangement.
- The sporty and sophisticated "Highway Star" design exudes a strong presence that changes the image of mini-sized vehicles.
- To maximize the ease of getting in and out, a slide door (opening width: 580mm, opening height: 1230mm), which can be remotely controlled, and a rear step with low ground height are featured on both sides of the car.
NV200 VANETTE UNIVERSAL DESIGN TAXI
- A next generation Universal Design Taxi that pursues comfortable mobility for all customers.
- Exterior design is readily identifiable as a taxi and also stylish.
- Will be officially introduced as the Universal Design Taxi by the end of 2010.
Next-generation continuously variable transmission (CVT)
The next-generation XTRONIC CVT is compact, lightweight and low-friction, and features an original structure
- Has achieved a world-best change gear ratio range of 7.3, which is more than 20% better compared to conventional CVT of the same class.
- Nissan's original, breakthrough design, which combines subtransmission, has succeeded in reducing total transmission length by 10% and weight by 13%.
- Unit efficiency has been improved by reducing friction by 30% through reduction of oil agitation resistance and others.